Wooden clocks are not only beautiful and elegant but hand-crafting...Read More
7 Best Portable Table Saws for Fine Woodworking
Table saws are one of the essential tools needed by a woodworker- professional or otherwise. However, you may need help to keep a cabinet table saw if you need more space or carry one around on your jobs.
Thus, the best option for woodworkers is to purchase a portable table saw that is effective for efficient woodworking.
With all the different brands claiming to be the best, one might need help picking a portable table saw. The brands often do not deliver what they are claiming to provide.
Among other factors, the choice of the ideal table saw relies heavily on the type of wood you are working with. Some apparatus may work well with a specific kind of wood, while others can handle a wide variety of wood.
Depending on the type of work you are into, you can select from five significant kinds of table saw: compact, Jobsite, cabinet, hybrid, and contractor.
Table of Contents
Tips To Ensure That Your Portable Table Saw Works Efficiently
Many factors will affect your choice of a table saw. However, you must ensure that the power tool is competent to undertake woodworking tasks efficiently.
You may have a table saw that works well. However, over time it is bound to undergo some wear and tear. Therefore, it is advised that you check the offset blade and rip the fence regularly.
The blade must remain parallel to its meter slot, or you will need help to get square cuts. You may use a dial indicator to adjust the blade alignment without professional service.
It is crucial to pick the right table saw for yourself; this guide will help you find the best pick.
Best Table Saw for Woodworking
Several factors affect the decision to purchase a table saw, including the depth cut, rip fence accuracy, heavy-duty mitre slots, and sturdy stands.
BEST OVERALL: DeWalt 10-Inch Table Saw, 32-1/2-Inch Rip Capacity- DWE7491RS
BEST OVERBOARD STORAGE: BOSCH 10 In. Worksite Table Saw with Gravity-Rise Wheeled Stand- 4100XC-10
BEST AFFORDABILITY: SKIL 10 Inch Heavy Duty Worm Drive Table Saw with Stand – SPT99-11
When offering the best portability, rip capacity and accuracy, you may rely on DeWalt DWE7491RS. Its exceptional miter slot, fence system, and blade adjustment control make it stand out among its competitors. Additionally, DeWalt DWE7491RS is budget-friendly.
However, if you need an extra onboard storage system, your best choice would be Bosch 4100-10.
While SKIL SPT99-11 may be the best choice for someone on a tight budget as SKIL is known for making affordable and quality products.
1. DeWalt DWE7491RS Table Saw
- Colour- Yellow/Black/Silver Table saw/stand
- Surface Recommendation- Wood
- Special Feature- Brake
- Product Dimension- 31″L x 24.5″W x 31″H
- Amperage- 15 Amps
- Weight – 1 pound
- Speed- 4800 RPM
- Number of Batteries needed- 1 lithium battery
DeWalt DWE7491RS is one of the best products available in the market. It can handle widths up to 32.5″ with a rip capacity of 3.5″. The 15amp motor can produce 4,800 rpm, revving 2 HP, which is ample to cut a wide variety of woods.
DWE7491RS can handle hardwood and cutting trim equipment and is perfect for vast shelving. Its collapsible stand makes it stand out among others, making it ideal for small workshops.
With this DeWalt, you get two dust collection ports, one at the blade guard and the other at the rear end. Its ability to collect dust, offer larger rip capacity, and accuracy makes it the top choice for many woodworkers.
When picking the right portable table saw, apart from exceptional wood-cutting features, portability becomes the focal point for any buyer. DeWalt DWE7491RS delivers in this area.
The rubber wheels attached to it make it easier to roll around and take it over the curves and slopes making it easier for you to navigate uneven job sites.
Since the table saw works well will dado stacks, you can perform multiple cuts using a cross-cut sled. You can quickly get repeatable cuts from the dado stacks to create dados or rabbets.
DeWalt DWE7491RS is beginner friendly and fit to undertake any DIY project and assist you in your professional endeavors.
- Your purchase includes one Dewalt table saw, 10inch 24-tooth carbide blade, rolling stand, push stick, miter gauge, rip fence, 2x blade wrenches, blade guard assembly manual
- Other Specs: Max rip to left of blade – 22inch | Max rip to right of blade – 32-1/2inch | Max width of Dado – 13/16inch | Arbor size – 5/8inch | Amps – 15 | Depth of cut at 45inch – 2-1/4inch | Depth of cut at 90° – 3-1/8inch | No Load Speed: 4800 RPM
- Rolling stand designed for easy set up and breakdown with excellent stability
- Rack & Pinion Telescoping Fence System Make fence adjustments fast, smooth and accurate
- Features a 15.0A high torque motor with the power to cut pressure treated lumber and hardwoods
- Portable and durable
- Foldable stand offering stability
- Capable of handling large and hardwood
- Benefits of two dust collecting ports
- Safety and security check
- The accessories from previous models cannot be used with this model
- Accessories do not come with the model and need to be bought separately
2. Bosch 4100XC-10 Table Saw
- Special Feature- Brake
- Included components- Gravity-Rise Table Saw Stand, Rear Outfeed, 10” Carbide-Tipped Blade, SquareLock Rip Fence, Auxiliary Fence for Narrow Workpieces, Miter Gauge, Smart Guard System, Push Stick, Throat Plate Insert, Multi-Function Blade Wrench, Adjustment.
- Product dimension- 32.5″L x 27″W x 13″H
- Amperage- 15 amps
- Weight- 110 pounds
- Speed- 3650 RPM
Bosch 4100XC-10 packs a solid punch, as expected from a reputed brand such as Bosch. Since the model is specifically made for industrial job sites, it gets its reputation as the best foldable table saw the construction industry has to offer.
The gravity rise stand makes Bosch 4100XC-10 exceptional, making it fully collapsible and adjustable as and how you like.
The working capabilities of this model are independent of the size of projects you undertake or the space where you work. The 8″ pneumatic rubber wheel accompanying this model can perform any job site.
Bosch 4100XC-10 comes with a powerful motor with its 15amp delivering 4 HP, contributing to great productivity. It also has an in-built soft-start circuitry assisting a smooth ramp-up.
Additionally, it is equipped with Constant Response circuitry facilitating the table saw to maintain speed under load, offering restart protection vital to prevent any accidents caused due to overload.
The unique SquareLock rip feature of Bosch 4100XC-10 makes the model easy to use. With its auxiliary fence, you can work on narrow pieces effortlessly.
- Filled with accessories
- Offers accuracy while not compromising on the speed
- Gravity-rise stand provides easy movement and packing when work is finished.
- Can work with dado stack after equipping with a dado insert
- Arbor Cam lock
- Offering exceptional blade guarding system
- The size of the table saw is a bit smaller. However, it adds to its portability.
3. SKIL SPT99-11 Table Saw
- Color- Silver
- Surface Recommendation- Wood
- Special Feature- Brake
- Included Components- SKILSAW SPT99, SKILSAW 24-Tooth Carbide blade, Miter Gauge, Smart Guard System including Anti-Kick Back Device, Dust Elbow, Insert Plate, Push Stick, Wrench, Rip Fence
- Product Dimension- 52.6″L x 29.53″W x 35.08″H
- Amperage- 15amp
- Weight- 94.3 pounds
- Number of Batteries- 1 A battery
The SKIL STP9911 is a 10″ portable table saw, which is an excellent option for those who love taking up DIY projects or woodwork as a hobby and are looking to add a more robust blade to their work table.
This model is powerful; packing an arbor speed of 5,300 RPM enables you to undertake elaborate projects. It is efficient and provides clean and accurate cuts. SKIL STP99-11 is one of the top competitors with superior components like aluminum table tops and steel roll cages, among others.
The unique features of SKIL STP99-11 prevent the motor from burning out from the power generated during its use. Built for long-lasting use, you can adjust the blade according to your perusal.
At the same time, the model can withstand extreme temperatures without causing damage to its parts or hindrance to performance.
- High-quality dust collector and extension table
- Standing at 3′ from the floor, a Convenient height helps reduce fatigue.
- Durability attested by its brass gear worm drive
- The user manual of the model is not user friendly
4.Rockwell RK7323 Table Saw
- Surface recommendation- wood, ceramic, metal, plastic
- Special Feature- Brake
- Included Components- Bare- tools
- Product dimension- 17.5″L x 16.1″W x 8.3″H
- Amperage- 5.5 AMP
- Weight- 17 pounds
One of the most significant advantages of Rockwell RK7323 is that it is easy to transport. Apart from slicing through wood, the 5” long blade is also used to cut through materials like ceramic, plastic, and metal.
The table saw has features like the standard guard and knife system, which helps rip, cut, and scroll through materials. At the same time, the model allows you to change blades without employing many tools.
The model also allows you to store the blades, miter gauge, and rip fence when not used. It is also capable of taking care of your safety, as the tool comes with a safety switch that prevents it from being accidentally turned on and resulting in unfortunate incidents.
This Rockwell model comes with a three years warranty allowing you to cover its maintenance without worry.
- Portable and easy to carry
- It comes with a safety switch to prevent accidents
- Blades can be easily changed
- Capable of inflicting mitre cuts from 0 to 60 degrees
- Not meant to undertake bigger protects
5. SAWSTOP JSS- 120 A60 Table Saw
- Color- Black
- Included parts- Collapsible Rolling Cart, Standard Brake Cartridge, User’s Guide, Active Dust Collection Blade Guard, Push Stick, Riving Knife, Hardware Pack, Blade Wrenches, 10″ Blade
- Product Dimension (without cart)- 31 3/4″ W x 28 3/4″ D x 15 1/2″ H
- Weight- 84 pounds (only saw)
- Weight of cart- 31 pounds
- Amperage- 1.5 AMP
- Speed- 4000 RPM (no load)
One of the most attractive features of the SAWSTOP JSS 120 A60 table saw is the patented safety system preventing the blade from spinning as soon as it comes in contact with the skin.
The system is built to make the blade stops moving in mere 5 milliseconds, thus preventing any significant/ life-threatening accidents. Its 24 5/8″ table provides enough space and allows for a precision cut.
The SAWSTOP model also takes care of the sawdust with its ‘Active Dust Collection Guard’. At the same time, using its in-built storage system, you can store various accessories- dust collection guard, miter gauge, and knife- on the machine itself.
- Preventing significant accidents and incidents from happening with SAWSTOP patented safety system
- Bigger table to assist precision cuts and facilitates more significant projects
- Easy dust collection feature resists mess after working on the table saw
- The plastic used in the apparatus does not facilitate a high-end feeling
- Dust ports challenging to plug in or connect to anything
6. DeWalt DWE7485 Table Saw
- Color- Yellow
- Surface Recommendations- wood and metal
- Included apparatus- Table Saw, Fence, Anti-Kickback Pawls, Miter Gauge, Push Stick, 24T 8-1/4” Blade, Non-thru cut riving Knife, Blade Change Wrenches, Modular Guard System
- Product Dimension- 22.75″L x 22.75″W x 13″H
- Amperage- 15 AMP
- Weight- 54 pounds
- Speed- 5,800 RPM
While the DeWalt DWE7485 does not accept a dado stack, it can pack significant power, and you can employ the assistance of the cross-cut sled to make precise measurements.
You can also adjust the table saw’s fence and how you like it using the rack and pinion telescoping. This model makes it easier for you to store away pro-guarding components with the onboard storage facility.
The durability of this DeWalt model is ensured by the metal roll cage, making it easier to maneuver in the job sites. It also includes various components to ensure your safety, including blade guard assembly, miter gauge, and push stick.
- A transparent blade guard aids the anti-kickback mechanism
- Blade angles and fences can be easily adjusted
- Appropriate table size
- Not compatible with dado stacks
- Narrower ripping width
7. Metabo HPT Table Saw Table Saw
- Surface Recommendation- wood
- Included Apparatus- 10″ 40-Tooth Carbide Tipped Blade (371495), Blade Guard Assembly (371647), Anti-kickback Pawl Assembly (371648), Miter Gauge Assembly (371651), Push Stick (371532), Rip Fence Assembly (371649), Outfeed Support Assembly (371650), (2) Blade Wrenches (371633), 5mm Hex Bar Wrench (371644), 4mm Hex Bar Wrench (371645), 2.5mm Hex Bar Wrench (371646)
- Product Dimension- 16″L x 13″W x 8″H
- Amperage- 15 AMP
- Weight- 96 pounds
- Speed- 4,500 RPM
The Metabo HPT table saw, which uses a 15amp motor is a powerful tool capable of handling the most demanding jobs. It can make a 3 1/8″ cut at 9 degrees and a 2 ¼” cut at 45 degrees. One of its striking features is a soft start and an electric brake system.
You also can adjust the blade angle and height depending on the material. The saw can be pulled up and down with the help of the stable fold and roll stand, providing stability to the entire equipment.
The model can work on numerous wood panels like plywood, ordinary wood, hardwood, and composite wood.
- Accurate results
- Ideal for tight places
- Plastic rack and pinion gear mounts can incur damage during shipping
- The miter gauge slot is not as tight as one expects it to be
The following factors will act as a buying guide and help determine which portable table saw you should invest in.
Portability is one of the most significant factors determining the table saw’s choice. As such, portable table saws are mainly of three types and serve different purposes.
Benchtop table saws are ideal for undertaking smaller projects. They are lighter and can be easily set up in your garage. Though such table saws do not have wheels, their compact size makes them easier for you to carry.
Another type of portable table saw is the compact table saw. It shares many traits with the benchtop table saw. However, there are certain additional features, such as stands and iron-cast tops. Apart from their rip capacity, they also resemble full-size table saws.
The final category is the Jobsite table saw which is more robust than bench top or compact table saw. These types of table saws are preferred by contractors who need them on their job sites.
A Jobsite table saw is more durable and robust and can take heavy-duty loads.
2. Cut Quality
When purchasing a table saw, you should focus on the cut quality; the essential component is checking the blade’s size.
Most commercial table saws have an average blade size of 10” to 12”. Consequently, a domestic table saw may have a blade size ranging from 5″ to 8″. It is no rocket since a bigger blade will give you a more precise and deeper cut into the material.
You can adjust the depth of the cut. However, a 10” blade on an average is capable of making a 3 ½” cut.
3. RIP Capacity
One may explain the rip capacity to be a maximum length of wood or other materials that can fit between the saw’s fence and its blade. The most basic table saws have a rip capacity of 18″. This gradually increases with cabinet table saws having rip capacities up to 60″.
The rip capacity of the table saw would depend on the dimension of the materials that are primarily used in your projects.
4. Saw Blade
Different saw blades have different blade dimensions and the number of teeth on the edge. While the blade dimensions vary from 10″ to 12″, the number of teeth can range from 24 to 80 depending on the kind of table saw you are using,
At the same time, the coating material on these blades also varies. The blades may be uncoated or have a coating using materials like carbide, carbon, and in some cases, diamond.
The saw blades also vary in tilt direction, with some tilted to the right while others to the left.
5. Miter Gauge
You need to rely on the mitre gauge if you want to use the table saw to make angled or cross cuts. It is used to make angled cuts and can guide you to make steady movements through the miter slot.
The miter gauge, which stops at 90 degrees or 45 degrees, is considered the best as it helps you stop precisely at those angles to make a clean cut.
While a miter gauge is preferable for many, it is only available with some models. Therefore, you should read the product description and acquaint yourself with the additional components that the table saw offers.
6. Dust Collection
Naturally, there will be sawdust all over where you operate the table saw, which may hamper your performance.
While most table saws come with a dust collection port to help you keep your workspace clean, you must follow up on their effectiveness. Most models come with a dust collection port measuring 2.5″ in diameter, and you may attach an industrial vacuum to the port and suck the sawdust.
You will also find a few models with a dust bag attached to them, which facilitates the collection of sawdust in a particular place.
7. Dado Stack Capacity
There are several saws available in the market that allow for a dado blade set. If you require this feature, you must look through the product specifications to confirm whether the saw offers this feature.
You should pay keen attention to the arbor as it can fit the dado stacks. The dado stacks are available in three dimensions- 6”, 8”, and 10”.
8. Safety Features
There are a few safety features that your table saw must have, or else it can compromise your safety. Features include on/off switches allowing easy accessibility, electric brakes, blade guards, and splinters to prevent kickbacks.
Ensure that the table saw you choose has all the safety features installed to prevent any unfortunate accidents.
Bringing to a Close
Considering the factors involved in choosing the right portable table saw, DeWalt DWE7491RS edges over its competitors, with Bosch 4100XC-10 coming second. These reputed brands provide unique features and precision cuts and ensure your safety.
The Art Of Scroll Sawing From Beginner To Expert Description...Read More
There is no tool quite as valuable in a carpenter’s...Read More