Wooden clocks are not only beautiful and elegant but hand-crafting...Read More
10 of the Best Woodworking Clock Kits for DIY Enthusiasts
Wooden clocks are not only beautiful and elegant but hand-crafting them from wood makes each unit unique. The design possibilities are endless and ever-evolving with new techniques and patterns being created daily.
A woodworking clock kit is a complete package containing all that a woodworker needs to build a clock from wood. The kit will typically include items such as clock hands, clock movement mechanisms, a clock face, and additional accessories.
Woodworking clock kits are designed for DIY woodworking enthusiasts interested in building their own decorative and functional clocks. This article highlights 10 of the best woodworking clock kits currently available
Table of Contents
Criteria for Selecting Woodworking Clock Kits
Coming up with this list of the 10 best woodworking clock kits, we had to look at the most important considerations for woodworking enthusiasts. These considerations include:
How much are you willing to spend on a DIY clock kit? Some woodworking enthusiasts may be willing to splash thousands of dollars while others, mostly beginners, will want to spend only a few dollars. We picked the top ten kits from the most popular price ranges.
Size and Space
Some woodworking clock kits come in several different dimensions. We picked samples from various sizes.
Design and Style
Woodworking clock kits come in different styles such as contemporary, antique, or themed designs.
DIY enthusiasts possess different skill levels. Match your chosen clock kit with your current woodworking skills and experience.
Components and Materials
We considered the quality of the material, such as wood type. Ensure that the kit has all the necessary components. Also, check if the kit allows for some creative customization.
Instructions and Support
The best kits come with clear and detailed instructions. The most popular kits often have online support resources such as video tutorials, chat forums, and customer support lines in case of queries.
10 Of The Best Woodworking Clock Kits
1. Howard Miller Langston Grandfather Clock
Howard Miller is a clock and cabinet-making company from Michigan. The company was founded in 1926. The Langston Grandfather Clock has an illuminated cabinet and a single-chime German movement. It has an elegant cherry finish and reeded corners to complete the classic look.
Criteria for Selecting Woodworking Clock Kits
- GRANDFATHER CLOCK: The Langston Clock has a Windsor Cherry finish on select hardwoods and veneers for ideal vertical decor with an illuminated case, and reeded columns. The lower door panel features bookmatched olive ash burl overlays in the corners that frame the crystal cut V-grooved glass. A split pediment also includes a turned finial and decorative shell overlay.
- DURABLE: This beautiful floor clock has a sturdy wood frame to relieve stress in a busy household. The timepiece has Arabic numerals, corner spandrels, a center disk, and a silver chapter ring on a polished brass-finished dial that has a lamp to illuminate the astrological blue moon phase and pierced star pattern.
- CHIMES: Easily tell time with cable driven, single-chime German movement that plays the Westminster chime to strike each hour from the brushed brass weight shells and pendulum bob. Set the automatic nighttime chime shut-off for convenient volume control to have anywhere in your home. The removable glass upper side panels allow easy access to the movement.
- DIMENSIONS: The height of this clock is 85.5 inches (217 cm), with a width of 22.25 inches (57 cm) and a depth of 12.75 inches (32 cm). A key is included to have a secure lock door and adjustable levelers below the sculpted base to provide stability on uneven floors. Made in the USA.
- HOWARD MILLER: Founded in 1926 and still family-owned in its third generation, Howard Miller is the world’s leading clock company and a respected brand name in fine specialty furnishings such as curio cabinets, wine and bar furnishings, custom storage cabinets, and SmartMoves adjustable height desks.
- It comes almost completely assembled, with only the pendulum and 3 weights needing assembly on site.
- It’s not battery-operated so it will never run out of power.
- Howard Miller provides white glove delivery, ensuring there’s no damage during shipping or installation.
- Its price is on the higher side.
- It’s not easy to reduce the volume of the chimes. You’ll need a professional clockmaker to do that.
- It’s not ideal for hardcore DIY enthusiasts since it comes almost completely assembled.
2.Wood Trick Analog Classic Clock 3D Wooden Puzzle
The Ukrainian WoodTrick company makes 3D wooden puzzles for DIY assembly. They pride themselves in creating fun and challenging engineering projects suitable for adults and kids.
Their Analog Classic Clock is a great example of their intriguing wooden puzzles. With 142 pieces and detailed instructions, putting this together is every DIY enthusiast’s dream project.
- It’s made of natural wood and eco-friendly products.
- It has a sturdy structure.
- Comes with a highly detailed and illustrated manual.
- Doesn’t require glue or special tools to assemble.
- Works as a captivating educational adventure, teaching engineering and mechanics principles while enhancing fine motor skills
- The locking mechanisms can only be installed once. If put incorrectly, you must break them and redo them with glue.
3. Adventurers Nixie Tube Clock
The Adventurers Nixie Tube Clock is a creation of Adventurers Company, a Chinese brand known for manufacturing home appliances. The Nixie Tube Clock has a retro design with a digital tube display.
The clock is a semi-finished product requiring self-assembly. It has a wooden base where the buyer assembles the numbered acrylic plates and the top cover
- This is a plug-in socket that has an inbuilt button battery. So it works even when the power is turned off.
- It’s easy to set the time, mode, and color.
- It has 16 million LED colors to choose from.
- It is simple yet fun to assemble.
- Extra parts included in case of breakage during assembly
- It is a simple assembly, not suitable for advanced DIY enthusiasts.
4. Quartz Cuckoo Clock Black Forest House with Moving Train
ISDD Cuckoo Clocks Company was founded in 2004, born out of a deep love for traditional and modern cuckoo clocks. The Quartz EN 48110 QMT continues in the style of Black Forest line much beloved by the German company.
The clock has an intricate design made out of wood. It has 12 tunes and the cuckoo calls out on the hour with an echo. The battery runs for about one year and operates the clock movement with automatic night-off.
- The moving train and dancers are a sight to behold.
- Beautiful design and intricate crafting
- Daylight sensor that controls volume between day and night.
- Cuckoo sound doesn’t sound as original as traditional Black Forest models.
- Some pieces often get loose or break off during shipping. Needs careful handling.
5. OWNONE1 Wooden 3D Puzzle Clock
The Chinese company, OWNONE, makes entertaining 3D wooden puzzles. This wooden 3D DIY Puzzle Desk Clock comes in 28 parts for a wonderful DIY project suitable for both kids and adults.
The parts are cut with attention to detail, all fitting well together. The clock is made of eco-friendly material and the movement is battery-powered
- Complex enough for DIY enthusiasts of all ages.
- Quiet desk clock, suitable for office use.
- Affordable, so you can buy multiple units and give out as presents.
- Instructions can be a little difficult to understand.
6.FirsTime & Co. White Shiplap Grandfather Floor Clock
The FirsTime & Co. brand is renowned for its home furnishings and trendy clocks. The White Shiplap Grandfather Clock is a 6-foot tall floor clock that can reflect your personality and enhance your home decor.
The design of the clock includes a shiplap and gear accents. The chimes are from royal Westminster tunes and they sound on the hour.
- Made of high-quality materials including wood, glass lens, and woodgrain finish.
- Chimes every hour and stays silent during the night.
- Easy assembly with online support and printable clear step-by-step instructions
- Requires 3 AA and 2 C batteries which are not included in the package.
7. Wood Trick Modern Kinetic Clock
This is another piece from the WoodTrick company based in Ukraine. The Kinetic Clock has a small size and minimalistic design suitable for modern spaces and office settings. The clock mechanism appears suspended, which adds to the allure of this clock.
- Clear and detailed instructions with easy-to-follow illustrations.
- Medium complexity with 157 pieces, so it’s suitable for most levels of DIY enthusiasts.
- Made from high-quality plywood.
Some pieces are difficult to set in place during assembly.
8. WOODEN.CITY Royal Wall Clock
Wooden City is a wooden puzzle manufacturer in Poland. They are renowned for their high-quality products made per EU standards. The Royal Wall Clock is made of safe natural materials.
The unit comes with instructions in 8 major languages. It is a 126-piece wooden puzzle suitable for adults and kids over 15 years old
- World-class customer support
- Wonderful 3D puzzle challenge for experienced DIY enthusiasts.
- Captivating decor that can transform any wall into a display stand.
- Can be complicated to assemble for less experienced DIY enthusiasts.
9. UGEARS Tourbillon Table Clock Kit
Ugears Mechanical Models is a world-leading startup that creates trendy, unique, wooden puzzles with awe-inspiring mechanical action. The Tourbillion Table Clock Kit is a 338-piece puzzle suitable for kids and adults alike. It takes about 15 hours to assemble.
The kit doesn’t need extra tools or equipment. The kit includes illustrated, clear, and easy-to-follow instructions in 11 languages.
- Unique mechanical design.
- Clear instructions in 11 languages.
- 15-hour project with 338 pieces, enough to tantalize even the most experienced DIY enthusiasts.
- It takes some considerable effort to make the balance spring move smoothly without stalling.
10. FUNPOLA LED 3D Wood Puzzle Clock Tower
FunPola manufacturing makes some of the most intriguing 3D wooden puzzles. This Puzzle Clock Tower has 63 pieces designed for medium difficulty suitable for anyone above 10 years old.
The Clock Tower makes an aesthetically beautiful accessory for home and office side tables. All pieces are 3-layered plywood for that luxurious look. The unit has 48 warm-yellow LED lights and you can vary the brightness.
- Can be a wonderful family or team effort, especially enjoyed with kids.
- It’s USB-powered, so you don’t have to set it next to a power socket.
- The package comes with lots of extra pieces in case of breakage.
- Comes with glue and a file, to adjust any parts that may be poorly cut.
- Some parts can be fragile and more prone to breaking during assembly.
Review of Top 3 Woodworking Clock Kits
1. Wood Trick Analog Classic Clock 3D Wooden Puzzle
WoodTrick products are top of the line and this 142-piece makes an exciting 3D wood puzzle. DIY enthusiasts can learn the basics of mechanics when assembling the pendulum, clock movement, and all other pieces of the multi-layer 3D design. The completed vintage clock can be any room’s centerpiece and a great conversation starter. It even has a secret compartment to add some mystique and keep small items such as jewelry safe.
2. Quartz Cuckoo Clock Black Forest House with Moving Train
The cuckoo sounds accompanied by the three dancers, a moving train, and various animals nestled in a forest cabin make this a spectacle to watch when it chimes. With a choice of 12 different tunes, it has a beautiful sound quality and high entertainment value. DIY enthusiasts will have fun setting this up, and the whole family will enjoy listening to the chimes for many years to come.
3. FirsTime & Co. White Shiplap Grandfather Floor Clock
This full-size floor clock will beautify your living room, hallway, office, or any other space. It’s a classic beauty that goes with most decor types.
The pieces are designed and cut to perfection, making it a pleasure for DIY enthusiasts to assemble. It is easy to customize as you can stain or paint the surface.
Tips and Tricks for Working with Woodworking Clock Kits
Working with woodworking clock kits can be a rewarding DIY experience when working solo, as a couple, in a group, or as a family. Here are some tips and tricks to make the most of your DIY woodworking clock project:
- Check the instructions for details before you buy. Ensure instructions come in your preferred language and have descriptive illustrations that are easy to follow.
- Once you receive the package, organize and label all pieces before you begin assembly. This helps you locate each piece quickly and easily.
- Visualize the assembly process and the final setup, then plan each step in advance.
- Don’t nail or glue any piece until everything is in place. This allows you to check that each part fits and functions as it should.
- Ensure all wooden components alight to a common grain direction.
- Test and adjust the clock movement to ensure it keeps proper time and the hands don’t stick at any point.
- Have fun and enjoy the process. DIY projects are meant to be playful and joyous.
These 10 best woodworking clock kits are favorites for DIY enthusiasts because of clear instructions, quality of materials, value for money, and type of design among other considerations. We also picked items from reputable and reliable manufacturers.
Whether you’re a kid or an adult, it’s never too early or too late to try 3D wooden puzzles. Get yourself one of these or any other type of wooden clock kits and have fun assembling. Enjoy the assembly and learn about mechanics and engineering basics in a fun way.